In Psalm 63 we read the testimony of King David, one of Israel’s greatest leaders who knew what it meant to be a follower of Jesus. He gets up in the morning thirsting for God. He eagerly seeks the touch of God who holds him close as his friend and beloved. Throughout his day David faces competition for his affections, allegiance, energy and love. He is surrounded by office politics. Yet his focus remains on the ultimate sovereignty and sufficiency of God who is always intimately within reach. Both fully present in this world while in sublime communion with God, David is practically unassailable from the evil and darkness that surrounds him. When evening comes David retires with a satisfied soul because he has seen God supply abundantly more than he expected throughout his day.
Based on David’s example, here are ten ways that you can follow Jesus at work today.
Ten ways that a leader can follow Jesus:
- Confidently start each workday by acknowledging that God, is your God. Acknowledge that God is the creator of the universe, your Creator, your Savior, Lord and Redeemer.
- Earnestly seek God every morning, not for what God can do for you, or to solve the challenges you will face at work, but simply for who God is.
- Admit that your thirst for God can’t be satisfied on your terms or by your skills or abilities.
- Put on the full armor of God, before you start your workday, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For your struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. (Eph 6:11-17)
- Stand humbly in reverent silence, in the presence of your holy and righteous Savior waiting to hear God’s voice in your workplace. Hearing God’s voice aligns your hopes and expectations for the work you lead with God’s will.
- Finds your satisfaction in Jesus alone, whether things go well at work, or things blow up in your face.
- Acknowledge that God alone has the wisdom to deal with the politics of your workplace.
- Demonstrate for all to see that the power, glory and surpassing value of God’s loyal love is better than your career or life itself.
- Trust that God will deal righteously and justly with those whose behavior is not in line with God’s word and way.
- End your day with thanksgiving by meditating on how you have seen God demonstrate his faithfulness, power, glory and lovingkindness throughout your workday.
You, God, are my God, earnestly I seek you;
I thirst for you, my whole being longs for you,
in a dry and parched land where there is no water.
I have seen you in the sanctuary
and beheld your power and your glory.
Because your love is better than life,
my lips will glorify you.
I will praise you as long as I live,
and in your name I will lift up my hands.
I will be fully satisfied as with the richest of foods;
with singing lips my mouth will praise you.
On my bed I remember you;
I think of you through the watches of the night.
Because you are my help,
I sing in the shadow of your wings.
I cling to you; your right hand upholds me.
Those who want to kill me will be destroyed;
they will go down to the depths of the earth.
They will be given over to the sword
and become food for jackals.
But the king will rejoice in God;
all who swear by God will glory in him,
while the mouths of liars will be silenced.